During a recent trip to Chile (as a guest of Wines of Chile), I couldn’t help but notice the energy and excitement among the winemakers. They all spke of their love for the country and the promise of finally moving beyond the stereotype of only producing value wines.
All of the winemakers—to a person—were absolutely energized by the future of the Chilean wine industry and, most importantly, working diligently to produce world-class wines. Some are closer than others, but all seem to be unified in this singular goal.
In an effort to seize the moment, I asked 10 winemakers to tell me why the country is such a special and exciting place to make wine. The video below shows what they had to say… Featured winemakers (in order of appearance): 1. Julio Bastías of Vina Matetic
2. Gonzalo Guzmán of Viña El Principal
3. Matías Rios of Cono Sur Vineyards & Winery
4. Andrea León of Lapostolle Wine
5. Sebastian Labbe of Carmen Wines
6. Edgard Carter of Oveja Negra
7. Benjamin Mei of Apaltagua
8. Andrés Ilabaca of Santa Rita Wines
9. Marcelo Papa of Concha y Toro
10. Cristóbal Undurraga of Viña Koyle